Some Good News and Some Bad News

10:49 AM

The bad news is, I'm saying farewell to My Holy Joy.

This blog weathered the changes from teenager to woman, Big House in the Little Woods to My Holy Joy, stay-at-home daughter to college student, complementarian to egalitarian. In this last year alone, I've changed drastically -- I graduated Hillsdale College summa cum laude, I married my best friend, I went through an agnostic period, I'm seriously considering joining the Eastern Orthodox Church when I'm not considering leaving the church altogether, and I proudly call myself a feminist. I'm very different from the black-and-white, naive girl I was when I first started blogging. Life is more complex and more beautiful now.

I'm ready to move on and start over with my writing to reflect these changes, so I'm closing the doors to this blog officially.

The good news is, I'm launching a new blog this week -- Ezer, a lifestyle blog for Christian egalitarian women. I'm covering egalitarianism, culture, relationships, spirituality, church, and lifestyle inspiration. I'm hoping to create a community of likeminded Christian egalitarian women, a community I've yet to find in my circle of friends online or in person.

Sadly, this is a narrower target audience and purpose than what happened here at My Holy Joy. To be honest, I debated even mentioning my new blog to you, since many of you would not at all identify as Christian egalitarians. But for those of you who do, there you have it. You are all welcome to read along, of course, especially those interested in wedding photos and my love story. :) But this new blog is meant to live out an egalitarian lifestyle, not to debate its validity.

Having said that, I'm grateful for the community we formed here. Your encouragement sustained me on some rough days. Your questions and perspectives changed the way I looked at life. Even though I'm "leaving," in a sense, this community will remain a part of me, no matter how much I have changed or will change.

Thank you for that.

Love,
Mrs. Bailey Steger

You Might Also Like

14 impressions

  1. I was wondering if switching blogs was going to be your next step. For those of us who do want to follow along as you navigate all these changes, will you let us know the url of your new blog when it is set up and/or will there be a temporary link or forward on this blog or anything?

    I think it is all very exciting and I hope you are having fun, Mrs. Steger :-)

    Adele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. www.weareezer.com :) I'm excited to have you make this blog switch with me!

      Delete
  2. Bailey dear, I can't say I intend to ever identify myself as an egalitarian, but I'll just miss you and your sharp mind and passionate heart too much if I don't follow you on to your new explorations and adventures. :-) Keep following the Spirit's lead and being brave enough to be YOU whether others agree or not! The path He is creating for you is breathtakingly beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement and kindness to me, even in our disagreements! You are ALWAYS welcome to read along. I was hoping you'd navigate this blog switch with me!! :D

      Delete
  3. So long as you do random posts now and then about non-fashion tips and the occasional shenanigans you get up to, I'll be happy to follow. ;) But I will miss seeing you here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely! There will be plenty of posts about shenanigans, non-fashion tips, and other non-controversial, regular ol' Bailey randomness. ;) I'm excited to hear you'll make the blog switch with me!! <3

      Delete
  4. I've been impressed while reading about your journey. Good luck with your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Heather!

      Delete
  5. I was a little sad at first, but I'm excited to keep reading on in your new adventure; so glad you aren't stopping!!

    I had some fun catching up on your posts at Ezer. I'm not an egalitarian, but there are many things on which I do agree with you. (And who ever agrees with anyone on everything?) Plus, I didn't read your posts before just because of what you believe, but more because I like reading about you and what makes you you. :)

    Looking forward to the wedding pics and the love story. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bailey, I don't know you personally but I have so enjoyed reading this blog over the past several years. You and I come from very different worlds, but your writing just sparkles and it has helped me to understand a different side of things. If you ever have questions about careers in communications or media, feel free to shoot me an email.

    --Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall miss this blog but nevertheless, will follow the next one! So many of your life chapters shared in this blog fit with mine and more than once created a feeling of friendship without the friendship part ;). Congrats, Mrs. Steger! Just a day before you I got married to my best friend as well. Blessed be your beginning and I am so glad you are not leaving blogging altogether!

    Ruxee

    P. S. I come from a traditionally Eastern Orthodox country and even though I am not a member of the orthodox church I would love to hear your opinions on the ritual, liturgy and doctrine. Hope you'll write smtg on that on the new blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on marriage! I'd love to hear your thoughts on marriage and Orthodoxy if/when I wrote posts on them. I'm also curious if Eastern Orthodoxy takes on a different "flavor" when in America. You'll have to let me know!

      Delete
  8. I am definitely not an egalitarian, but I like to have my thinking challenged and I don't want to be one of those people who believe what they believe and won't listen to anything else for fear of having to change, so I plan to follow your new blog. :) I often don't agree with you, but you are an amazing writer with well thought out and well articulated ideas. While I don't fit into your narrower target audience, I'd love to be sort of an onlooker, if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)