One Month, a Million Projects

10:33 PM

It's been crazy -- my sister's wedding, an out-of-control flea problem, moving, and a week-long visit from my favorite boy. Oh, and I turned 21. Forgot about that.

Now that the crazy is all behind me, I'm making a list of all the grand plans I want to accomplish. I'm back home for a month before school starts and only doing a little bit of work remotely for my summer job. If I don't get some projects started, I'm going to end up one cranky, Facebook-addicted girl. (Yeah, I was that kid who hated summer because she didn't have school to keep her busy. I need things to do.)

  • Hitting the bestsellers list. I'm going to see if I can write a book in less than a month by drafting a chapter a day. The working title that I made up while driving this afternoon is Going Steady: A Big Sister's Thoughts on Dating Seriously. It's literally a bunch of observations (not rules) on what it's actually like to be in a serious dating relationship. Everybody writes about purity and whether you should date or court -- and then there's nobody around to help you figure out how to love your boy in that awful stage of "we're not breaking up, but we're not getting married either because college and parents and age." Anyone want to pre-order? :)
  • Becoming a millionaire. I'm looking into launching a money-making blog and creating webinars. Everything I read tells me to get a niche or give up, but it breaks my heart to limit what I write about on this blog. I think I'll just start a separate website -- the breadwinning counterpart to this quirky, sporadically updated blog. And I'll start it sometime when I'm not going into my senior year.
  • Solving the gender issue. Speaking of which, I picked my senior thesis! The topic: women's roles in the early church. It satisfies my love for biblical exegesis and historical theology, plus it's personally relevant. I'm beyond excited to start researching this topic, and I'll definitely be sharing my findings with you throughout the semester!
  • Learning fashion. On another intellectual note (cough), I realized I owned too much stuff when I dragged three trash bags and one box of clothes and shoes out to my car in 90 degrees, 500% humidity. Do I even wear half this stuff? No. I researched creating a versatile wardrobe, so I need to start throwing stuff out, reselling my size 8 clothes, and buying quality, matching outfits.
  • Making friends with cool people. And finally, would any of you be interested in a live Q&A session hosted on a public Google hangout? (The live part would be me answering. You'd ask the questions beforehand because I am the world's most long-winded extemporaneous speaker.) I'm figuring out how exactly this hangout would work, but before I invest all this time in wrangling free technology, I though I'd poll my potential audience. :)
Any last-month plans before summer ends?

You Might Also Like

15 impressions

  1. Eeeek! Your sister's wedding! Are you going to tell us all about it??? I want to compare experiences!
    <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I'm waiting for the wedding photos to go up, and then I'll tell you all about it! :D

      Delete
  2. Fleas! We recently had an out-of-control flea problem as well, courtesy of our dogs who are now outside dogs.
    We sprayed multiple times, and it didn't even seem to make a dent in the flea population. Then we bombed the house with those bug bombs, and that helped for a while but after a week they were back so we had to bomb AGAIN. And finally, they were cut down to a manageable number.
    It was ridiculous there for a while; I mean, certain rooms you'd walk into and five or more fleas would immediately be on your legs. Ugh, it was awful.
    We've joked about our house having the plagues of Egypt on it. Ever since we moved in, we've had problems:
    First there were bedbugs. Oh, what a nightmare. Fleas are *nothing* compared to bedbugs. Then there were the roaches who came in droves and swarms, especially at night. Then there were the rats (thankfully only in the garage and not the house). Then the fleas. Well, I guess most of that isn't surprising given the fact that the people who lived here before us weren't exactly the most neat and tidy of the human race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.o That sounds like a NIGHTMARE. Our flea situation was so similar -- I counted 10 on me one morning just walking around the house. I actually went home to WI early because I couldn't take the psychological trauma of sleeping with parasites nor the physical trauma of itching my ankles off.

      My boyfriend's mom did tell me that the one upside to having fleas was that bed bugs are worse. And you didn't even have that upside. I am so, so sorry!!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Great! I'll keep you in mind as I write it today. :D

      Delete
  4. This all sounds great! and happy birthday!! I'd be quite happy if I could learn the secret to actually creating a classy, matchy wardrobe of my own, btw. Let me know how if you figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked to the website that taught me how to create a versatile wardrobe, but this dumb template doesn't highlight the links. So here it is: www.puttingmetogether.com. Fabulous advice. And she's a pretty classy dresser herself!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on becoming an official adult! When you solve the gender issue, TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW. As someone who is involved in and passionate about church ministry, this is a topic close to my heart, so I'd be keenly interested to hear your discoveries.

    Book? Yes please. Dibs on a signed copy. I'm weird that way.

    Hangout? Also yes please. That would be delightful if time zones were to cooperate.

    Fleas... I still have scars from sharing a bed with them critters after the cat visited it. Don't scratch, or else wear stockings for life. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I scratched my flea bites like crazy --- but they haven't scarred!

      Out of curiosity, what's your church's position on women in visible church roles/leadership? Part of my excitement over this thesis is that I am saddened by the unnecessary, unqualified male dominance in my church. My college church allows women to serve openly, and it's crazy to see how much of a difference it makes in the church life and service!

      Delete
    2. I'll email you on that topic, Bailey. :)

      Delete
  6. I would definitely be interested in reading that book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You ARE reading Carolyn Custis James right?? RIGHT?? I would be interested to hear your entire thesis statement when you get it nailed down, because part of me says "doctrine develops". I mean, the Trinity always existed, right? But the faithful didn't necessarily have a cohesive or even necessarily orthodox view of the doctrine of the Trinity until it was codified in an ecumenical council. So, I guess what I'm saying is: even if the early church had active females in leadership, does that have implications for us today? If it does, does it have implications for ALL churches (including evangelical churches isolated from a larger denomination or hierarchy) or only for clerical churches who have some sort of apostolic succession/priesthood?

    It really is a fascinating question, and I can't wait to see where you go with it. But here's the one thing I'd say: don't make it about women. Its not about women. Its about God, and what kind of a God is He? :) Of course, its about women, too, but you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHOULD I be reading Carolyn Custis James?! Looking her up right now!

      Oh, gosh. You've asked some tough questions and set some high standards for me! I'll be thinking on those. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes! She's amazing and really elevates the "woman question" to another level imho. Check out "Half the Church" and "The Gospel of Ruth". I loved it :)

      I think in questions, so I have no problem coming up with those...answers on the other hand...

      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

      Delete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)