Doing Crazy Things

8:00 AM


This summer, I did crazy things:

  • I tried to get an internship with my favorite website, Verily. My professor's wife writes for Verily and even married off one of the founders to her brother. I asked her to put in a good word for me and drafted a short email listing my qualifications and interest in web writing. It would be my dream come true to work behind-the-scenes for Verily. She passed along my information. I haven't heard anything back from them, but at least they know that some random girl who adores Verily is willing to run to Starbucks and edit their articles for them. 
  • I asked for an editing position at my office. My boss created an editing position that sounded right up my alley...but he wanted to keep me on as a writer only. Every time he brought up the editing position, I tactfully said that I'd love to take the position. I couldn't believe the words were coming out of my mouth (am I too bossy? too pushy? too ungrateful?), but they did.
  • I hosted a live Google hangout. I want to get into webinars someday, so I forced myself to do a casual live hangout. Speaking in front of my people isn't exactly out of my comfort zone, but speaking extemporaneously is my worst nightmare. (I actually practiced for an hour with a webcam before going live.) You all encouraged me so much. I made note of what I need to improve on and what I did well, and am excited to try again. But I still haven't worked up enough courage to watch the replay.....
  • I started a book, a blog, and a business. None of them came to fruition, but I went for it, anyway -- and I'll finish one of them after I graduate.
This summer, I found myself thinking, "I'm proud of myself" (when did that ever happen?). I'm proud of myself for stepping out of my comfort zone and just doing something. As a cautious, prudent planner, it's hard for me to learn and do new things. What if I fail? What if somebody thinks I'm stupid? What if somebody gives me pointers for improvement? 

Looking incompetent keeps me from getting where I want to go and doing what I want to do. I wanted to explode this fear of incompetency, so I made it a point this summer to make myself do hard, uncomfortable things with a high failure rate.

But you know that editing job? I landed it. 

What crazy things have you done?

Photo Credz: UltraLinx via Pinterest

You Might Also Like

14 impressions

  1. I will forever call dibs on the first publication of your book. Just saying. And I'll be the cool girl who holds back the crowds during book signings. Okay? Okay. Glad that's ironed out.

    The craziest thing I did this Summer was probably calling the chiropractor. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best. :)

      I'd say getting married was a pretty crazy thing -- the best kind of crazy. And landing your dream job. ;)

      Delete
    2. Ooh, can I do that with Bethany? We can get cool sunglasses and earpieces.

      Delete
    3. I approve of this venture.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I just landed an awesome job doing things I love (or at least, think I love) and best of all -- I get to work from my house. However, this is definitely my first "skilled" job -- as in, its not food service, retail, janitorial, or otherwise entry-level, physically demanding job. And also, I don't talk to anyone except my boss (and that's usually via phone or email) all day.

    I feel overwhelmed and exhausted! Not to mention sick of computer screens! However, I also know, despite the steep learning curve that comes with this work, it is something that, given time, I will end up being super-good at. However I also need to work on time-management, staying active, and cultivating interaction with people in my free time.

    Oh did I mention I also started classes? Oh and --- I'd also like to start work on a chapbook poetry collection?? Oh, and also -- I'm pregnant??? No wonder I feel overwhelmed.

    So my crazy things are yes, overwhelming, but also wonderful and worth pushing through. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow! You've got one heck of a life going on right now! But every single thing sounds so exciting! I can relate so much to your struggles of working from home on the computer all day, and it's encouraging to hear your determination in overcoming them!

      Congratulations on baby, job, school, and your future plans!!

      Delete
  3. I read books that *I* wanted to read. So often, I'm just trying to get ahead of the kids' lit for homeschooling, but this year I read *Northanger Abbey* and *Pride and Prejudice*. Well, not quite done with P&P yet, but almost. So, that's not super crazy, but it was risky, since it took precious time away from getting ready for our school year which starts on Monday and I'm actually *not* ready so what I'm a doing reading blogs when I should be finishing lesson planning and making zillions of copies and a schedule so we can actually get half of the thing I've planned done and...*incoherent babbling*....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that! Jane Austen is a good investment. I'm sure you'll be able to catch up with the school year -- and now you'll be able to introduce them to the joys of Austen firsthand!

      Delete
  4. Good for you, Bailey!! I liked the ending, nice suspense and surprise. :)

    Some of the craziest thing I've done lately are going to college and just walking around the "halls" by myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also did a 17-mile bike trip in the pouring rain this summer with my church's youth group. And I was exhausted after the first few miles. I'm pretty out of shape, I was in the back the. whole. time. That was probably the craziest thing I did this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would've done something like that this summer! Good for you!

      Delete
  6. I love your list. It sounds like a summer of adventure and running ahead if you ask me. As my brother likes to say, the risk of not taking risks is being boring.

    The craziest thing I did this summer was decide to jump on the opportunity to move to Wales and complete my entire undergraduate degree abroad. I'll be moving in 16 days. It is still surreal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog, and I love it! How do I follow? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any Bloglovin' buttons or even Google Friend Connect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Serena! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll add back a "follow me" thing!

      Delete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)