How to Unclog a Drain without Your Dad's Assistance

10:00 AM



Living in a big kid house without cleaning ladies means big kid cleaning. We're not just talking streak-free glass cleaner kind of cleaning. We're talking legit plumbing.
Our tub has issues. It feels grimy no matter how many times I scrub it. Is that mold? Also, the water turns cold ten minutes into your shower, and also, there's no light above the tub. Why is there no light over the tub?

Another problem: Last week, I took a shower in six inches of water. The culprit? This guy.


See how there's a screw? I remembered righty tighty, lefty loosey, so I started unscrewing it. The gobs and gobs of hair stuffed in that little drain prevented me from pulling it out.

Where's my daddy when I need him?

My dad. Hey, my dad bought me a purple toolkit now stashed in the back of my car for emergencies such as this. I unzipped the case for the first time ever. I have a power drill? Cool. And also five billion different screwdriver heads all stuck in rubbery plastic. Literally stuck.

That didn't do me any good.

I fished around for a tiny intact screwdriver not stuck in rubbery plastic and set to work on that disgusting drain. Word to the wise: any size screwdriver works. You just need leverage.

Another word to the wise: wear gloves. You do not want to pull out a foot of other people's hair and then pick it off a screw with your bare hands.

De-hairing the drain probably fixed the six inches of standing shower water problem, but just in case, I followed it up with 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup vinegar. You watch it fizz up and let it sit for a few minutes (or however long your patience lasts), then drown it in steaming water. I soaked the drain cover and screw in vinegar, baking soda, and hot water too. If that ruins drain covers, I haven't discovered it yet.

What's the bravest maintenance disaster you've faced without your dad?

You Might Also Like

10 impressions

  1. I'm not sure eating breakfast while I read this was a very good idea...

    I'm trying to think if I've ever had to deal with a maintenance disaster without my dad...I still live at home, and have two older brothers and a younger one who is probably better at such things than my two older brothers.

    I love that first picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for disturbing your breakfast! XD

      Delete
  2. Vinegar is amazing. It'll probably help with the griminess of the tub (built up soap scum) if you let it sit for a while on saturated paper towels. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I should try that. There's built up everything in that bathroom. I should just spray vinegar everywhere!

      Delete
  3. I've pulled hair out of the bathtub drain before. It nearly made me gag the first couple times, but I think my stomach has strengthened. I usually take it upon myself to unclog the drain because my own knee-length hair is probably the culprit. ;)
    <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knee-length hair! Kudos to you for pulling that off.

      Oddly, I didn't find cleaning out the tub drain gag-worthy. Disgusting, yeah, but nothing a good nylon glove couldn't fix! :D

      Delete
  4. Wait. You never had to unclog our bathroom sink every two weeks? I can't believe you never graduated from the Bergmann household with a degree on Hair Declogging. I mean seriously. I suppose bathtubs are different though.
    And you sure look cute in bandanas. :)
    (Mommy taught you well. Remember when she would wear her yellow bandana on Saturdays when she'd mop our entire house of tiled floor?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure I unclogged our bathroom sink....once? :P I took a hit for the team by cleaning out the clumps of hair that no sister ever bothered to touch. *cough*

      Is that where the bandanna trend started?! I was distinctly trying to be you when I tied on that bandanna.

      Delete
  5. I haven't tried it, but I've read that if hair is the problem, you can just pour Nair in the drain and let it soak before rinsing it out. Makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job! I remember when I had to deal with my own plumbing maintenance after I moved out of my parent’s house. Never missed my dad more than when I was wrist deep in hair and shower gunk. You should invest in a drain cover – they’ll catch most of the hair that comes off in the shower, and prevent additional clogs from developing.

    Lovella Cushman @ Perfection Plumbing

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)