How I'm Surviving Today

6:41 PM

Hi. Welcome to the pity party.

Jokes. I'm doing great, actually. I'm operating on a ton of sleep and a tiny remnant of motivation to get me through this last paper and all four finals. I've missed our online community. Please don't go away! I promise I'll start writing again once school tapers to an end. In case you were wondering what I've been up to in my long absence.....

1. FRENCH FRIES. I have an obsession. 

2. Right now, I have 17 tabs open, all about Jews and Christmas and turn-of-the-century New York. I've got six library books in my backpack. They're about Jews and Christmas and turn-of-the-century New York too. I've been researching for months, mostly to procrastinate on actually writing the paper. Yesterday I found these gems in old New York newspapers:

(Did she volunteer this herself? Poor Miss Bennett.)


I laughed so hard and so long at this headline.
Weary of single blessedness, indeed!

3. I sent this to my freshman friend at midnight to make her laugh because she was studying for finals. I wasn't studying, obviously. Also, yay community bathrooms?


4. Roomie selfie! We woke up super early on Saturday morning to write papers at Jilly Beans, a local coffee place. It's absolutely adorable. That couch was amazingly comfy. (No, I didn't write my paper. I ended up reading things. And Facebook. Sigh. You know I'm stressed if I'm religiously checking social media.) 

My roommate shared her coffee with me, and I wanted to cry. YUCK. Not a coffee person!


5. Despite how much I despise coffee, I bought a huge caramel mocha. I drank most of it. It was suicide every. single. sip.



6. My favorite thing to do recently is watch funny cat videos. This one and this one and THIS ONE are my favorites. If you're stressed, grab a friend to snuggle with and then watch cat videos until you snort cry. It's the most cathartic experience available to busy modern people.

What are you doing? What are you thinking about?
What makes you de-stress during busy times?

You Might Also Like

9 impressions

  1. How do I destress? KNITTING. Seriously, learn how to knit. It's amazing how relaxing it can be to knit rows of stockinette, or even better, stranded Fair Isle colorwork (I could do that for the rest of my life and never tire of it!).
    Of course, the downside is that you will want to buy yarn. And after you learn that acrylic and other synthetic yarns just ain't that great, you'll start buying wool ... or silk/wool blends ... or alpaca ... or linen ... and pretty soon you'll realize that if you don't STOP buying yarn, you will have a huge stash of yarn and a tiny stash of money.
    But seriously, I am sad that I didn't learn how to knit sooner than I did. Oh, and Ravelry.com may just start to replace other social networking sites, at least partially.
    Well, if you do get into knitting, don't say I didn't warn you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I do love yarn! Unfortunately, I don't like anything crafty whatsoever. Anything that involves using my hands, I generally take a pass on. I've learned to knit like five different times...and then forgot/got bored with it. (I'm so bad at this!!) And Ravelry is such a cute site!!

      Ironically enough, when I was younger, I used to read through the colorful knitting book and look at all the pictures and projects. Not sure if I was fascinated by the knitting or by the awesome graphic design....

      Delete
    2. Great idea for you, Bailey! You can knit while watching funny cat videos.

      Delete
    3. I'd probably jab myself in the eye with a knitting needle while laughing hysterically.....

      Delete
    4. My brother was looking over my shoulder as I read this, and he said, "You could have written that comment!"

      Yep! I LOVE knitting and I spend waaay too much time on Ravelry. Well, actually my new time waster is Pinterest...

      ...where I pin knitting quotes and pretty pictures of yarn along with other things. :D

      Yes, Bailey, french fries are awesome. Have you tried them with ice cream? The best...

      And these pictures are hilarious. I love the first one with the latte/the second to last one.

      Delete
  2. You're so cute and collegiate. I laughed so hard at this post. :) Man, that single blessedness!! *dies of laughter*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more hilarious newspaper headlines! :D It's so great!

      Delete
  3. I love the newspaper clippings! I'm a genealogy librarian, so I work with a lot of historic papers for my job. I like the death notices best: where else can you read that someone died because the outhouse fell on her? (Okay, that's not actually funny, but I have a warped sense of humor.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so cute, Bailey. I understand your fry obsession and concur on your thoughts of funny cat videos and snort-cries. I don't know why you didn't send that mocha my way ... I mean, I could have happily taken its death grip from you and enjoyed every sip; but then, I am drinking my third cup of steamy, black goodness right now so I'm glad you sipped it despite the taste of death in your mouth.

    (can you tell I'm tired and have been housekeeping // aka washing windows and spring cleaning // for the last six hours? Oh, I've also been laboring (crying) over changing over to Wordpress. Not only am I dying at the difficulty but the emotional trauma of leaving Blogger has me stressing and listening to hippie music/procrastinating all day. If only I had a French fry to munch on ...

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)