Did I Tell You I Got a Writing Job?

8:00 AM

Last semester, my roommate's recommendation landed me a web writing job with the Hillsdale College marketing department. I write for the website itself, mostly student spotlights, as well as their student stories blog. It's crazy finding inspiration and motivation to write and interview in the midst of performing, drafting papers, and keeping up with homework, but it's been a great challenge. I'm actually interning with the web team this summer


Why am I telling you all of this?

I want you to celebrate with me! My first article as a paid writer just went up today! Give it a read. It's actually interesting. :)


(I'm actually writing the article in this photo during tech rehearsal.)

What are your writing aspirations/accomplishments/fears?
I'd love to hear what you've been working on!

You Might Also Like

10 impressions

  1. Growing up, often when I said "I want to be a writer", wise adults would inform me that it was a sweet idea, but there really was no money in it.So getting your first paid writing commision is a huge deal! Actually writing is a hot skill these days. I am now writing for pay as well and happily working on my novels on the side.

    This is encouraging. Way to go! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's incredible, Susanna! Congratulations on your writing success and your audacity to write novels on the side! I'm impressed. My roommate and I joke about being starving writers together, so it's always good to know more and more people who can earn a few bucks from their word-crafting. :)

      Delete
  2. You're getting paid to write - knew this would happen. :) YAYS!
    (I'm impressed, but not as impressed by your cloud-acting skills. PHEW. You are crazy awesome! What a cloud!) :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relief to have a backup career on which to fall. If writing doesn't work out, I'll be a professional cloud for the rest of my life.

      Delete
  3. Bailey, that's fantastic! Getting paid to write is my dream. Congratulations. ^_^ I read Hillsdale's Student Stories blog from time to time; I'm looking forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool!! I have another article that will allegedly go up soon. It's awesome you read the blog!

      Delete
  4. I'm super excited for you! It is a major step in life when you can bravely step away from a personal blog and submit your work for editing and pay. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frannie! It really is a big difference between writing whatever I want and submitting articles to an editor! :P Still working on that adjustment.

      Delete
  5. I got one of my creative writing pieces accepted to the student creative arts publication at the college I attend! I also won an award!

    About that, though... so, I won an award for poetry. I thought my piece was prose...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha!!! You're a poet and don't even know it. That's beautiful. :D I'm impressed you're still writing anything in college besides papers. We have lots of publication opportunities here at Hillsdale, even a creative writing club, and I just don't ever find the time to write anything else. :P

      Delete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)