Learning to Sing

3:53 PM

Praise befits the upright.
Sing to him a new song,
for the word of LORD is upright,
and all his work is done in faithfulness.
psalm 33:1,3,4

Confession: I've been a full-out wet blanket this entire year. (You've noticed, of course.) This post is not another recounting of my faults and despair -- it's a declaration of hope and redemption. To keep my heart in check and track my progress from living in a slump to radiating with joy, I'm starting a daily log in my devotional journal. Here's what it looks like.

Our soul waits for the LORD;
he is our help and our shield.
For our heart is glad in him,
because we trust in his holy name.
Let your steadfast love, O LORD,
be upon us,
even as we hope in you.
psalm 33:20-22

Today I'm thankful that/for. . . . . . . . . .
  • nothing can hold me down
  • I hold the reins to choose either despair or joy
  • today the joy of the Lord is my strength
  • Caroline's goofy comments
  • Daniel's attempts to comfort me
  • Erich :)
  • swimming in cold, cold water at 7:30 in the morning
  • comfy pajama pants
  • Sharpie markers!
  • craft projects
  • yellow
  • my little marked-up ESV Bible
  • deep online articles
  • strategy games with my boy (ending with my inevitable loss)
  • texts from my best friend
  • hope
  • inspiration
  • having my mom look out for me
I sought the LORD, and he answered me
and delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant,
and their faces shall never be ashamed.
psalm 34:4,5

Today I'm praying for. . . . . . . . . . . . .
  • Bethany as she counsels middle school girls
  • my college girlfriend who feels sick
  • my best friend -- just 'cause
  • blessing, joy, strength and focus for upcoming school year
  • my camp girls and co-counselor (yet to be announced)
Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
Oh, fear the LORD, you his saints,
for those who fear him have no lack!
psalm 34:8,9
Today I'm planning to. . . . . . . . . . . . .
  • go on a walk with my family
  • write Grandmamma a letter
  • write a blog post (check!)
  • sing a new song
The LORD is near to the brokenhearted
and saves the crushed in spirit.
The LORD redeems the life of his servants;
none of those who take refuge in
him will be condemned.
psalm 34:18,22


You Might Also Like

7 impressions

  1. Hey haven't been here in a while....I saw you were thankful for someone named Erich...are you courting? Just curious ;)

    Blessings,
    Alisha

    www.alishainprogress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) :) :) Yes, ma'am, I've been dating for a couple months now. I go into more details if you read like the last five posts or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see you actively seeking joy in life. And singing. Singing is always good. ;-)

    "But I will sing of your strength;
    I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.
    For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress.
    O my Strength, I will sing praises to you,
    for you, O God, are my fortress,
    the God who shows me steadfast love." Pasalm 59:16-17

    Adele

    ReplyDelete
  4. thnaks bailey....i thought you were wanting to pursue courtship because of your belief in purity? maybe i'm thinking of someone else....it's possible i guess :P just be careful....i would hate to see a friend get hurt cuz of the world's dating game.....i'm not condemning you...just speaking words of caution :) be blessed...praying for you and erich :) could you post some pics of you two....pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't have to court to have a belief in purity. :) They're just words that mean different things to different people. For me, courtship like it's taught in many conservative homeschooling circles won't work because I'm in college away from home. My parents are still really involved, and my boy and I are very much committed to each other and not dating for fun. And yes! I posted some pictures of us a few posts ago. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)