Life with a Little Sister

7:44 AM





7:03 AM || Meet in the bathroom -- "Good morning, Caroline" "Hi" "Did you sleep well?" "Yep" "See you in a bit" (patters off downstairs)

7:57 AM || Dress baby doll midway during devotions (if you're lucky, the shoes actually fit)

8:06 AM || Get official good morning hugs and discuss what she had for breakfast

8:07 AM || Start morning dialogue:

(Version A) Caroline: "Will you jump on the big trampoline with me?"

Me: "I've got to eat breakfast."

Caroline: "After you're done eating breakfast?"

Me: "Do I have to?"

Caroline (face falling): "Please?"

You know the end result.

(Version B) Caroline: "Will you read me a story?"

Me: "I've got to eat breakfast."

Caroline: "After you're done eating breakfast?"

Me: "Sorry, Caroline, I'm really busy today."

Caroline: "But I want you to read me a story."

Me: "But I don't want to."

10:04 AM || Receive affection -- normally hug around on the knees

11:23 AM || Receive more affection:

Caroline: "I love you so much"

Me: "I love you so mucher."

Caroline (thinking): "Me too."

12:32 PM || Read newspaper and On Wisconsin alumni magazine with Caroline in lap

Me: "Would you stop bumping my chin with your head?"

Caroline (twisting around): "I love you so much."

Me: "I love you so much too. Ow -- Caroline -- ouch -- your arm is where I'm reading."

Caroline: "I love you so much."

Me: "I love you so much too."

Caroline kisses my arm. She kisses my arm. She kisses my arm. She kisses my arm again.

Me: "Why are you kissing my arm?"

Caroline giggles. I kiss her head. She kisses my arm. She bonks my chin.

Me: "It's lunch time. Go see if Mom's going to make your plate."

12:46 PM || Start lunch conversation after Caroline has dragged a chair next to mine

Caroline (eating scrambled eggs): "Do you like scrambled eggs?"

Me: "I do like scrambled eggs."

Caroline: "Do you like fried eggs?"

Me: "Yes, I do."

Caroline: "I don't like scrambled eggs." A pause. "Do you like [mumble mumble]?"

Me: "What?"

Caroline: "Do you like rolls?"

Me: "Yes, I like rolls."

Caroline: "After when you're done eating, will you play Candyland with me?"

Me: "Sure."

Caroline grins.

Daniel (conversing with Sarah): "And there was a dead fish head!"

Sarah: "Eww! I'm eating!"

Caroline (scattering Candyland cards at my feet): "A fox was eating a dead aminal."

Me: "Oh, Caroline, yuck, I'm eating right now. Don't talk about that until I'm done eating."

1:00 PM || Get up to refill plate

Caroline: "Are you done eating now?"

Me: "Yep."

Caroline: "A fox was eating a dead aminal."

1:11 PM || Play Candyland

1:35 PM || Inform Mom on my imminent departure to Walmart

Caroline: "Where are you going?"

Me: "I've got to go to Walmart."

Caroline: "Why?"

Me: "To get a present for Lindsey."

Caroline: "Why -- why do you have to get a present for Lindsey?"

Me: "It's her birthday today."

Caroline: "Can I come?"

Mom: "Can you stop by the post office?"

Me: "Sure."

Caroline: "Can I come?"

Me: "You have to hold the package."

Caroline (whining): "Why?"

Me: "You've got to make yourself useful."

1:42 PM || Charm the ladies on the sidewalk and in the post office

1:46 PM || Get an orange lollipop at the bank because Caroline is so cute

1:55 PM || Use little sister as a handy present carrier in Walmart

2:16 PM || Buy rainbow Goldfish for said handy present carrier

4:27 PM || Start afternoon conversation

Caroline: "Will you jump on the big trampoline with me?"

4:28 PM || Sit for seventeen minutes on the trampoline enduring Caroline's bossy screams

"DON'T JUMP! SIT DOWN! STOP! DON'T JUMP!"

5:30 PM || Negotiate who has rights to sit in the red kitchen chair per International Toddler Law

6:03 PM || Stand corrected for addressing Caroline as a "girl" and not a "todd-e-ler"

6:05 PM || Receive affection: "I love you so much"

7:32 PM || Cuddle time!

7:56 PM || Start evening conversation

Caroline: "Will you read me a story?"

8:06 PM || Receive pre-bedtime hugs and kisses

Caroline: "I love you so much."

Me: "I love you so mucher."

Caroline: "Me too."

You Might Also Like

8 impressions

  1. Aw, I love Miss Caroline! Such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, life with little kids... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah! Awww! Caroline is SO adorable/cute/sweet/gorgeous/little/hilarious/insert-adjective-here. :]

    Enjoyed the dialogue sample - sounds a lot like me and Madilynn. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seriously made me laugh. Caroline on paper. I think right now she's doing ballet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds exactly like my little brother. Little children can sometimes be pestering, but really, it's worth everything in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids are so funny. :)

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww! So sweet! I read the post before I saw her sweet face and watched the video. She almost matched my imagination... She is so much cuter in real life though.

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)