No, I do not speak Spanish. You probably don't either. I just love inserting cultural flair. Plus I haven't the slightest idea of what to title this post. Plus Spanish is awesome, period. Am I the only person who loves reading labels in foreign languages? Those yellow slippery floor signs get so much better when attenciones accompanies the ho-hum English warning. I think I've read the Spanish instructions on the backs of all our soap dispensers and the French manufacturing details off the Kleenex boxes scattered about the house. It's addicting.
Speaking of germs (I was, anyway), I take health. First aid and food pyramids (technically a food plate now because pyramids are so yesterday). Apparently, growing up in a family of nurses and doctors does not count for high school credit. Which is disappointing, because homeschoolers don't get those screaming plastic babies that simulate real-life parenthood. We get the real deal. Try assisting in potty training between brushing your teeth and picking out the day's outfit.
Wait. Are screaming plastic babies part of health class? I don't know.
I was talking of health, wasn't I? I was. Though strangely, health isn't just or mainly about anatomy, dieting and feeling guilty for not being an Olympic triathlete. I learn interesting things like how advertising glamorizes poor decisions and discovering my personal level of stress and celebrating how awesome I am. I made a poster about it, thank you very much. I knew there was a reason my kindergarten teacher made me cut and paste.
Right now, the week's on love. And dating. And mawwiage. Exciting, no?
Kind of. What makes me excited is getting a chance to hear from you. One of the activities is interviewing a bunch of young people on their dating/courting ideas and their definition of The Perfect One. And since a good many of you have had your weddings planned since kindergarten, I figured you might have something to say.
Ready, set, go. Leave your answers to the questions and any additional thoughts in the comment section. You can post anonymously or email me too if you feel your answers are incriminatingly insightful. I'll pull it all together and present the results in a special blog post written by YOU. And I'll get high school credit for it. And you'll get to talk about love. Everyone wins.
- What dating or courting practices/ideas appeal to you? Is there something you positively would not or have to do?
- What should be off limits during the courting/dating phase?
- Does the first kiss belong at the first date, the engagement or the altar?
- Does it bother you as much as me when people misspell altar as alter? (Just kidding!)
- Suppose that everyone in the world could possess only three good traits. What are your three must haves for your Prince(ss) Charming?
- What would immediately turn you off in a potential suitor?
- Is it true that opposites attract? Could you live with (and love!) your opposite?
- What's the biggest myth about love and dating that you struggle with?
p.s. Someone loved me enough to nominate my blog for the Best Homeschool Teen Blog for the 7th annual homeschool blog awards, which I didn't know existed until this afternoon. Whoever you are, I love you too. I feel guilty about asking you to vote for me, so I won't, but please do, and if you don't, vote for Aspire because I absolutely love that blog.