Embarrassing Dreams

2:00 AM

They mean it nicely—I know they do. It’s only polite to ask it of up-and-coming students. There’s really no way they can avoid it without putting themselves in an awkward position.

But whenever this topic comes up, nausea slowly takes me. Jitters begin in my pinky toe. I pick at my black blazer, blink rapidly, grin stupidly, all defenses on alert: “So what do you want to do after high school?”

I guess the problem is twofold: I’m too honest and I’m not honest enough. I’m too honest, in that I can’t lie straightfaced and say with a proud smile, “I’m taking an internship at an engineering school to become the first woman to design a rocket ship compatible with amphibian life.” Shocking—acceptable—but unfortunately, untrue. Of course I could tell the truth, but that would be shocking, unacceptable and very unfortunately true: “Actually, I want to get married and be a mother one day.”

You too? Join me at Raising Homemakers for some rambling encouragement.

You Might Also Like

6 impressions

  1. Okay, that is the next highest calling... (Having GOD call you out to be a preacher is the thing I think is highest)
    Being a wife and mother is a good calling too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the highest calling is the calling God has called you to. There may be more prominent and obvious callings, but all are important...imperative, I should say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, by the way, y'all: Raising Homemakers has been down for around four days. Hopefully it'll be back up soon so you can read the rest of this riveting post. ;o) (Just kidding.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's an embarrassing story to go with your embarrassing dream post.

    When I was a freshman at a small Bible college in Michigan, they kicked off the school year with a bonfire in the ravine. The dean of students explained a few things about the school year and gave a short devotion. We then had a couple of minutes to stand, in turn, to say why we came to the school and what we hoped to gain from being there.

    Well...when I said, "I'd like to get a comprehensive Christian education here, and possibly meet my future husband," you should have *seen* the guys scatter a little bit further away from me. I think I heard crickets chirp. Everyone stared. Finally, there were a few chuckles and someone else stood up to talk.

    The thing is, I was only saying what almost every girl there was thinking. I just had the courage (or stupidity) to say it aloud.

    True story. They still talk about it over there, I hear. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be biting my nails until then. ;)

    Btw, I love the error message they gave me. "You 404'd it. Gnarly, dude."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in a town where going to college is the norm...but I could happily skip it and get married and have kids a day after I graduate:) I got you:)

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)