This Is for You, Writers

1:21 AM

It looks so bad to complain about lack of comments and the number of followers. It's launching an attack against the poor people who have the guts to read one's writing in the first place. Frankly, those topics one should bring only to the Council of Sisters at bedtime, where secrets shared under night and snuggly sheets stay under night and snuggly sheets.

The only reason I mention it is because bloggers do notice when nobody's commenting on their posts. It's rather depressing. I won't deny it. Expected, maybe. But depressing nonetheless, especially when it's a library silence - the kind where there are readers everywhere and nobody making the slightest noise.

More specifically, I notice when people don't comment on my posts. And I thank you for it. I thank you, because it solved one of the strangest questions for me.

A year ago, a day before 2011, actually, I wrote this post. Last year was a year of contests, speeches, receiving exciting phone calls that I was moving up from district, to regional, to state...then coming in third, always. It all ended there. Third at state. That was all. Of course, people tried to make it up to you with those ubiquitous, "Well, the winners must have been pretty good to beat you," but people say anything in the midst of tragedy and it's impossible to separate sympathy from reality.

To quote me a year younger: "And I determined that, logically, it must be God's will. There must be some purpose to it. And someday I would find out. (I really look forward to those mysteries being revealed. God is the author of amazing plot twists.)"

Someday was tonight, sitting in the gravel driveway. I itched mosquito bites in the bright moon. I rolled gravel through my hands. I was wrestling with the yo-yo success of my writing. Many of you writers recognize it - the ebb and flow of recognition, the come and go of gushing comments, the give and take of confidence and disappointment. Why is it, I wondered, that I can go up to third at state with so much ease and then die, right then and there? Why is it, I asked myself, that I can be so excited about a project and then watch it die right then and there? Why is it, I questioned, that an onslaught of flattering comments is followed by dead silence?

Readers, so I'm told, are a frustrating lot. Rejection slips. Empty comboxes. Misunderstanding of your pet project. Death at state level.

And speaking of frustrating, that nagging fear of one's own ability tops any reader who has complained about your writing, explicitly or not. Fear had driven me to stake a claim in the middle of our driveway at night.

As I picked up moonlit gravel, $50,000 was at stake. That's the prize of the scholarship contest I was thinking about entering that evening. Fifty-thousand bucks for a world-changing 60-to-75 page portfolio containing pieces of outstanding literature...from me. (I feel sick at the very thought.) It would involve writing fiction, my sworn enemy. Good fiction. Outstanding fiction. That would in turn involve collaborating with others who would - pass me the smelling salts, won't you? - critique my writing. They might say things like, "Um, that plot twist is cliche. Axe it" or "Your heroine is kind of obnoxious" or worst of all, "I don't really understand your writing."

There is nothing, underlined and bolded, nothing worse than a misunderstood writer. It's an oxymoron, almost. Writing is communication. Misunderstanding is miscommunication. It's failure. It's curse. It's worse than that.

Gravel got in my fingernails, it was that bad. I couldn't bear to be misunderstood.

All my almost-but-not-quite there successes jogged through my memory, slowly, slowly enough to get a good long remembrance of each of them. Again I asked the question: Why had I failed?

But then, why had I succeeded? If my writing was truly amazing, I wouldn't have consistently lost at state in both competitions. If it were truly horrible, I wouldn't have made it that far. Being in between was possible but illogical to me. One couldn't be quasi-successful. You either were or weren't, and I wasn't and was.

There should be a verb for being struck with an idea, with ramming into truth face first. If you allow me to create one, I revolutionized.

What if my writing really had less to do with me and more to do with...God?

Perhaps it wasn't that I was good or bad - perhaps it was that the Lord blessed me with success at some times and blessed me with failure at others. Perhaps whenever someone commented on my writing, it wasn't because I had written something life-changing but that the life-changing Spirit had been at work through my words, a vessel of His grace.

Perhaps that's all my words were - vessels, some for honor, some for dishonor, but all for Christ.

The reason I won at lower levels was not because my words were particularly insightful. The reason I lost ultimately was not because my words weren't. It was ordained that my vessels be used this way and then that way, for reasons I can't explain nor want to. Writers know firsthand the righteous anger at finding published (and well off) writers whose manuscripts aren't worth lining a rat's nest, or stumbling across an amazing author nobody would poke a stick out. We like to look at things objectively, to say that, "If I write like so-and-so or do x, y and z, I'll be successful," but we know the writer's life isn't objective like that and it never will be.

We can be enslaved to our feeble skills which, all in all, don't amount to much without a sovereign blessing, or we can surrender ownership and make sure our words match God's Word.

How incredibly freeing it is, to know that my words do not have to be perfect to bless or imperfect to not bless. I find it's less about me than ever before.

I stood up. I wiped gravel out of my palms. The moon shone bright as I headed inside for my laptop. I had words to write and the confidence to write them.

You Might Also Like

19 impressions

  1. There are two quotes about writing that I wanted to share with you. The first one is: "A Writer writes... always." The next is: "Careful or you'll end up in my novel." Both of which are very self-explanatory. My novels always reach dead-ends or when I go back and read them, I realize that they are too childish for my intended audience but too complex for children. Well, back to the old... uh... keyboard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit it. I've been avidly reading your blog for some time, but not commenting. And I've been tremendously blessed. You are right, such insight in one so young can only come from God. But I have a question, and please don't be offended if it comes out wrong. Why would you waste such a God-given talent as you have - a talent to write truth and do it well - on fiction? Stick to truth, God will bless you for it. And don't stop writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to read on the computer. Especially when you just finished reading on the computer. ;)

    Love, love!

    (Just thought I'd throw some humor to prove that I'm not a grump and that you need some because you are? That really didn't make any sense, but put on a happy face anyways. ;D And do listen when your sisters screams about a pencil falling on the floor. She nearly had a heart attack. By the way, I think I'll make sandwiches for lunch.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bailey--I don't know if I've ever commented before, but I have been following your blog for some time through the RSS feed. I love this post. May God bless your efforts!!!

    In Christ,
    ~Hannah May

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how GOD uses blog posts to reah His people. I just wanted to let you know, that was exactly what I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tuathal: LOL! I love your last quote. It's so true...it's frighteningly true. It's how one deals with people indirectly. ;o)

    And I didn't know you wrote fiction. You will be grilled on this shortly.

    JJ: No, that's a perfectly legitimate question - thanks for asking. It depends on whether you think truth can only be contained in nonfiction work. I don't happen to think so...in fact, I've learned some of the profoundest things about God, man and the world through fiction. Escapist fiction - no. But solid, thought-provoking literature - it's one of the greatest vehicles of truth, I think. Especially since many people are turned off by dogma or facts.

    Oh, and never fear: A writer writes...always. I'll be dead when I stop writing. :o)

    Floppeth: You were right. That was a profound comment. Wow. (Teasin'.) Whatever happened to making sandwiches for lunch??? I starved on leftovers.

    Hannah May: Glad you enjoy! May God bless my feeble attempts, indeed.

    Caiti Marie: Then you were one of those who I was expressly writing for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it amazing how things change when we start to see them from God's perspective? I had one of those experiences yesterday, realizing that the focus had me on me for so long, and not on Christ. It's painful when God tears away our pride, but then so is constantly running into brick walls. ;) Wonderful post, Bailey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this earlier today and was too busy tweeting it and posting it on my Facebook page to remember to comment.

    Remember for a moment that sometimes THAT is the reason we don't comment. Or at least once! :)

    I know, I know and I KNOW. I loved this post. Related to every word of it.

    Sometimes I like a post so much or relate to so much of it or learn so much from it that I am too overwhelmed to comment.

    But today I shall say:
    YOU are an amazing writer. My favorite things about you as a writer are your wit and obvious research and humor and the way you "truth in love," but also that you WRITE. So often I'm a "writer" who reads or a "writer" who lays on her bed and thinks about writing. You really do it. And your practice shows!

    Three cheers for you, Dear!

    Everly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and I love what you said about fiction in your comment. I think you're totally right. This is on my mind and heart heavily right now. People believe fiction..oddly enough!

    Everly

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must confess that I haven't been commenting because I haven't been reading! You know...getting ready for school, cleaning at camp, mom stuff, blah, blah, blah. Let me tell you that I *have* missed reading your blog. Tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  11. God's plans are amazing - I too have looked forward to seeing Him face to face, knowing that He can silence my confusion. (But I don't think there is confusion in heaven..)

    Sometimes it's hard to believe that "All things work together for good for those who love God", but it's still true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a great post; I enjoyed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has nothing to do with post-
    I write the blog, www.livysplace.wordpress.com- Would you sometime write something about you, your blog, and such and guest blog for me?If not that's fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anon, contact me (my info's at the bottom of the blog) and we'll go from there. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bailey-
    It's not going to your contact page when I click on it..I tried it on 2 other computers as well,Idk if it's the actual blog or our computers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No worries! Shoot me an email maiden4Jesus AT charter DOT net.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh,cool!
    Thanks I just sent it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woohoo! Isn't it marvelous when the Lord suddenly lifts you out of blindness and you can SEE that it's all about Him? That happened to me last night too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing this bit of truth; I feel that it is something God will use in me as I prepare for a mission training program which requires public speaking.


    Blessings, Frannie

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)