Plugged In

2:00 AM

I knew better. But for some odd reason, I always pictured homeschooling my children to take place in a one-room-schoolhouse-like fashion, desks nailed to the floor and students sitting at attention with pencils poised to take in me and my blackboard.

How I ever got that from real life, I’ll never know. We have desks, the kind used to stack test papers, letters and knick-knacks that Mom’s told us to put away three times this week. Our blackboard’s downstairs, where the dog (or the baby) sometimes eats the chalk. My mother occasionally teaches us in group fashion, but we’re all sprawled on the couches with cups of OJ, blankets and a stray sibling or two playing trampoline on our stomachs.

Laura Ingalls would not approve.

I grew up taking tests amid discipline scenarios, screaming children, epic toy car chases and Badger barking at the mailman. I learned to read history with my baby sister balancing on my shoulder or with a little brother prattling on about his rock collection. My break time involved playing puzzles, switching laundry and perhaps, if I had a particularly pleasant day with math, emptying the dishwasher.

Welcome to my world.

Read more when you head on over to Raising Homemakers.

You Might Also Like

4 impressions

  1. Hi Bailey!

    I have never commented before, but I just thought I would let you know that I really enjoy your writing!

    You're very right... With independence comes responsibility, and it takes a truly mature person be able to manage their independence properly. Our society has turned from being family-focused to individualistic and "all about you". There is such blessing that comes with investing into our families; it's too bad that there are precious few people who realize that.

    Keep up the great work! :)

    Coram Deo,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when you post on Raising Homemakers. I am one of those homemakers-in-training who longs to remove the in-training part. Of course, I have longer to wait than you do. :\ But while I wait, I love stopping by your Big House to see if anything new's been written. :)

    I'm a follower from Struggles of a (Maybe) Teen Author. Visit my blog at www.maybeteenauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate that post, Bailey. I am, right now, struggling hard to figure out how my new-found 18-year-old independence fits into my family life. How much "me time" I deserve, and how to use my talents to help the household while also developing them.

    As I observed recently, "Growing up means learning to die to self." Sacrificing dreams, luxury, and even sleep, for the good of others, like my parents do every day.
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve read your posts on Raising Homemakers and LOVED them. I’ve been following your blog for some time now. I blog over at Stay At Home Daughter. I’m looking for guest posters and I wondered if you would want to write a post for me. I could not find any contact info for you on your blog so I thought I’d send you this request in a comment. Would you please email me at stayathomedaughter (at) hotmail (dot) com? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)