The Camera and Me

7:30 AM

Dreamy-eyed amateurs clutching a few hundred dollars in nickels and dimes, scrounged from babysitting and Saturday morning walks -- they head into Walmart looking for Canon Rebels and Nikons. Me? I was going to camp and had a big budget of thirty bucks. I walked in and immediately got lost in the technology department, and after strolling through aisles of game controllers and snazzy laptop covers, landed in the cheap-o digital camera lane.


Here I learn a very hard lesson about love at first sight: It was pink, cool and everything was wrong.

The screen was 1.5 inches. Its little turn-on jingle sounded like one of those plastic games thrown in with a Happy Meal. The time stamp (who wants a time stamp?) appeared on every photo. The lens was permanently hibernating, the zoom was pathetic, and the pictures -- they were like a bad paint job.

Find the rest of my camera woes Under {Erin's} Turquoise Umbrella.

You Might Also Like

1 impressions

  1. Oh my goodness. I started reading this story with a broad grin, which dwindled to a smile, which faded to dismay. Why the sudden change of emotions, you may ask? Well.

    I have the exact same camera.

    Pink. Soundless video. Ultra-cheap. Dark, orange-washed pictures in the absence of sunlight. Memory card sold separately. Vivacam. Initial delight and later dismay. The only glaring difference between your story and mine is that my point-and-shoot was a gift-- so I had to reassure the beaming gift-givers that the camera was indeed everything I had dreamed of.

    I have had my lovely camera for a year now [its name is Brianna]. Take heart dear one, all is not as lost as it seems. After a while, you learn to adjust to its *ahem* unique aspects :o) Just avoid the video, ensure proper lighting, and smile big in all your pictures.

    Love to Vivienne Rose!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)