Windows: A One-Year Celebration

7:25 AM


Today is my one hundredth and eleventy-first birthday! :: BILBO BAGGINS

Actually, it isn't. Today is Big House in the Little Woods's first birthday (I doubt it will survive 110 more such celebrations). But since I'll never have an appropriate occasion to say it's my one hundredth and eleventy-first birthday, I thought I might as well mention it at this inappropriate occasion.

May 28, 2010. Hello, Big House in the Little Woods. Hello, waking up at a wicked hour in the morning to type in my blog's name, its domain title, the comment info. Hello, frantic hours spent uploading premade blog buttons and headers and combing the Cutest Blog on the Block for backgrounds. Hello, ultimate journal. Good morning, Big House in the Little Woods. Welcome to the world.

Back on May 28, 2010, I was the graphic designer of the family. I designed my sister's blog (which she has redesigned so many times that I lost count). All that has changed -- I know nothing of blog design compared to her. I was an eager fifteen-year-old with a soap box to drag out and a voice to be heard. My second post to go up was "Schoolyard Feminism," a short little diatribe with all the passion my typing fingers could muster. It almost made its way onto Ladies Against Feminism.

Big House in the Little Woods was a culmination for me. Years and years of jotting notes down, building a portfolio of ideas, planning design and focus. I'd always loved to write -- purely for the love of words, yes, but also to get people to listen to me. I had something to say and I wanted to say it without the 90 day waiting period between letters to the editor -- to spout it out to someone besides my cornered mother on some other platform besides the kitchen stool. (I do that too. Sorry, Mum.)

On May 28, 2010, I started a journey to find myself. I worked through theological and sociological  problems on this humble blog. I cried over being called names -- I fumed over comments that totally misunderstood me -- I struggled to answer the questions and accusations that came now and again. I tried to reckon the praise received with the flawed but searching soul that wrote those words. I was just a girl coming out of a shell of preconceived ideas, looking for the light.

Back then, I wanted to prove myself. This blog was a boost up to my soap box. I wanted to be seen, heard, praised as a force to be reckoned with. But ironically, that led to a softer stance. I let commenters walk all over me rather than risk offense. I was writing for the few pennies someone would throw in my tip box. I was waiting for people to recognize that what I had to say was important before believing that what I had to say was important.

Nothing's changed much. I'm sixteen sixteen now, a year from where I was when I penned immortal words of introduction. But I am changed, 153 posts later. I don't care so much what people think -- if I'm too long or too wordy or too nitpicky or too conservative or too extreme in any other way. My blog isn't a performance anymore, on an open stage with bright lights and a curtain to hide the rough spots between scenes. It's a window -- a window into my world. It's an everyday life of an everyday girl who isn't striving to be a blogging heroine or a super-Christian. It's the footprints of a life. Follow as you wish.

FROM THE ARCHIVES

...when I'm broken before Him

...building a life that will last

...you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free

...the decline of the American bookworm

...the best way to deal with heartache is to laugh

...why pointing a finger gets four right back atcha

...an unsocialized homeschooler makes her case

...something beyond the career girl

You Might Also Like

13 impressions

  1. Happy Birthday.

    Hideous drawing by the way. It made me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, sister! One year in bloggerdom, and you're still stirring all our spirits upwards! Bravo! Bravo!

    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read your comments on Lizzy's blog, I decided: if I ever found where you had a soap box, I would be there.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I know your blog has been a great encouragement to many (including me) over this past year. Your posts have also been excellent 'thought provokers.'

    Herm, somehow I don't think 'thought provokers' is a proper term, is it? Probably not, but...it fits. :)

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Bailey!

    I've been a silent reader since March, exploring the archives and perusing generally. I found out about you through RH. As a home schooled Christian sixteen-year-old girl, I relate to you very much. I'm a word nerd litwit as you are, but chemistry is my favorite subject ;). Not to mention I do live in Wisconsin. And I'm from the South (getting a little weird? I'll stop that now).

    Anyway, I want to thank you for your courage--pouring your heart on the Internet? It takes guts to be brave enough to post your counter-culture stance like that. You are one special young lady of God. I can see Him using your gifts to further His kingdom. Blessings on you and your life!

    FYI, I know you're a TULIP. Personally I'm a TULiP (Let the Arminians decipher that!).

    The posts you've done that I enjoy the most are your UHG. Keep 'em coming! Your posts about everything else are very well-written. Again, God has gifted you! Keep writing!

    Many blessings on you and your family. May you be eternally in His peace!

    {Melody}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Big House in the Little Woods!

    Bailey, it's been great to see how you have been growing and developing this past year through your blog. It's amazing what God can do through willing vessels such as yourself. Keep going deeper, it's making all the difference in the world!

    ~Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy one-year anniversary! Looking back over all those amazing blogposts/articles, I have to wonder: when are you going to publish your first book?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy (belated) birthday! I love reading your blog. Your talent as a writer is incredible. But what's even more incredible (and praise worthy) is how you use your talents for God's glory.

    As a woman, my own thinking and attitudes are often challenged by what you write. I hope my eleven year old daughter is able to enjoy and grow from your Biblical encouragement as she becomes old enough to appreciate it.

    Keep writing and growing! Can't wait to see what your future holds (hopefully a book deal?!?).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bailey,
    Congratulations! =) I've really enjoyed following along as you share your heart. Your words have really encouraged and challenged me. I especially loved your "Are You Worth It?" post. Thank you so much, and keep up the good work! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm wondering the very same thing. Will you sign a copy for me when it happens?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Bailey/Big House In The Little Woods! :)

    I remember the first time you told me about your blog... with big eyes and lot's of excitement. - 'Twas at Presentation Night last year! "I have a secret," you said. :)

    You are an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy one year anniversary! I have been enjoying your blog, and I'd have to say, you're brave to post all these things in a public place. Not to mention the amazing (to me) feat of actually thinking of something to say and getting it into words that people want to read. Keep blogging!
    Justine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurray for Bailey! =)

    I'm so glad to have discovered your blog - and you. It's been completely delightful, and I wish I could write exactly like you. Three cheers!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)