Hypocrisy and Writer's Block

7:30 AM

My mother realized that me being promoted to a Raising Homemaker contributor was the best thing that could happen to her. What better motivation could a daughter have to help out around the home than an obligation to write articles on it? "Write what you know" - so the saying goes. Ideally, then, homemaking and I shall know each other very well now.

For I must write something - and I have many different theories and untested philosophies that sound stunning on paper. (Whether they work in real life or not, I don't know. I haven't really found time, between speech contests and sleeping in late, to try them out.)

While I don't profess to being the most diligent homemaker-in-training, I will stick up for my hypocrisy-o-dometer. It's very sensitive. I'm keenly aware of the fact that I need to get my act together before sharing my wisdom...something like hitching the cart to the horse and not the other away around. So here is the ultimatum for me: I give up writing on homemaking or I learn how to make a home.

I take the latter.

It's resulted in cleaning up after everyone at lunch, popping dinner in the oven, doing extra laundry and waking up at 7 o'clock sharp every morning. It means flat feet aching after preparing supper (and listening to the local radio). It means messes, new experiences and this wonderful sense of accomplishment.

(Want to know a secret? If you want to feel good about yourself, deep clean your desk. Seriously. You'll feel like a whole new person. Organized. Efficient. Collected. It's brilliant.)

Furthermore, it's led to expanding my interests outside of the internet and email. I even painted a rock the other day. Green. (It was a yellow-bellied, one-eyed monster, and yes, I am normally normal, except when I'm not.) Due, then, to the fact that I spend my afternoons finishing up a tea towel embroidery that I start back in August or yawning - er, reading - through St. Augustine's Confessions, I haven't had much energy to write down my blog ideas. Oh, to be sure, there's a whole glut of them in the back of my mind, banging around and clamoring to get out.

But want to know another secret? I learned while making enchiladas and listening to In the Market that more than four hours a day of screen time increases the risk of heart failure. That's, um, kept me away from the computer more than usual. Oh - is that the time?

You Might Also Like

9 impressions

  1. OOoo, wants again "I'm so proud/happy that you got a shall we say "position" with the blog.

    Sounds like you're geared up and ready for homemaking!

    lol "In the Market" the one by that Janet Pa - whatever her name is? I found it rather drab. :) lol

    Can't wait to see you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is now...9:41 and m'dear darling still isn't downstairs. *coughs* 7:00 am sharp? :D

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, hey, we make allowances for sick folks who haven't got the "early to bed" part down pat.

    And I got out of bed at 9 - sharp - thanks to somebody's noisy wake-up call. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like listening to Janet Parshall's program.It's rather interesting.All the facts and everything eles.She did have Devin Brown on once (author of Inside the Voyage of the Dawn Treader).

    Anyway,I really like your blog and read it as often as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the cleaning desk part! It can make such a change!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm proud of you Bailey! You're getting a great start. So if you mother (heaven forbid) should be ill for months on end in a few years, you will be *MUCH* more prepared for the whole, taking care of a home and family, than I was at your age. At nearly 19 I still daily struggle, My room is a disaster, but all the laundry is done! :) Oh, and let's not talk about whole getting up in the morning thing. At all. Ever. Or getting to bed at a decent time. That topic is taboo. Okay? :)


    *HUGS*
    Love you girl!
    ~Elissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bekah :: I love Janet Parshall's program. Yesterday there was this caller who really got on my nerves to the point where I was lecturing the radio...which was a bad idea, since I should have been paying attention to Wisconsin's Slipperiest Road I was driving on.

    Elissa :: You are just always the sweetest. What'd I do without you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, going to bed and getting up on time -- I wholeheartedly agree, let's not mention that! :-P We night owls are a little sensitive about that issue!!

    ~ Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just adore you.

    And you make me laugh.

    Oh, and as for heart failure, it's probably because we sit around eating corn chips and other junk while "working." {ahem}

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)