We Lost the War When We Won the Battle

7:30 AM

The front page of the sports section displayed a great big photo capturing a moment in high school wrestling. The soon-to-be champion had his arm gripped across his opponent's chest, his other tripping up his opponent's legs. I'm not into wrestling, thanks; but I kept staring at the photo. It looked wrong. I glanced at the caption.

I should have known: A male high school student "controls" Libby So-and-So. It ended, I supposed, with him pinning her beneath him. Yes. Her. And there wasn't a bit of trumpeting or fanfare over her being a girl. She was just there, on the front page, a subtle reminder that women had gained every shred of respect they deserved. We've come so far that girls wrestling in a boys' league no longer deserves comment. It became acceptable.

How did we lose that battle? We, we women, we who clamored for respect, both from men and from ourselves? Is this it? Is this respect, to have organized wrestling matches where a male grapples and gropes a female without any shame, where she submits to being "controlled," as the caption put it, without a comment?

Is this what being liberated means?

I was sickened. That boy - for heaven's sake, didn't he have the common decency to say, "I can't wrestle a girl; I can't touch her like that"? But that girl - poor thing, who told her that respect and power came from going up against boys her age and size and being pinned beneath them?

Ladies - when feminism claims that women should have equal respect and power with men, I whole-heartedly agree. Why then does it shoot itself in the foot? What we have now is a free-for-all grab for respect where gender sets no automatic boundaries. But the playing field is on traditionally male territory - the careers, the toughness, the power and prestige.

Forget the fact that there is inherent dignity in the sexes because God made them that way. Forget it, lady, that you're a girl - man up. There's only one way to prove you're a woman: be a man.

Ironically, with the success of feminism, we lost our respect. To be sure, there has never been an age where all men have valued women for women and vice versa. But that doesn't mean we give up the battle. That doesn't mean we women stop fighting for that respect. That doesn't mean that we give up all that makes us unique in order to earn a twisted view of respect.

To the secular humanist, who has no concept of a Creator and His purpose for design, I can understand that this argument falls flat. But for a Christian, who ought to have the exact opposite response to that fact, this is inexcusable. If God had valued all things male, why did He create woman? Why didn't He create a gender-neutral race of humans? When God measured up Adam and found him wanting alone, He gave a distinct value and specialness to Woman - something no daughter of Eve should ever give up.

There ought to be distinctions of the sexes: that's what makes women special. With the blurring of the sexes, with the onslaught of feminism, there is now less respect for women - and men, for that matter.

A girl ought to be able to demand respect by being feminine and womanly. She should not have to achieve manmade (literally) expectations to be someone she should not in order to gain respect. She should not have to end up underneath a boy on the mat in order to prove she has dignity and strength.

We deserve better, ladies. We know we do. When we embrace our calling as women, we have every right to be treated with the fullest respect, honor and dignity that is possible. Let's make sure we live up to that calling - and not even consider settling for less.

You Might Also Like

7 impressions

  1. It is simply disgusting - I do not understand how women find wrestling boys prove that they are "tougher". Good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. The parents, coaches, and school administrators who permit this should be ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. Before my family homeschooled, my brother wrestled for a year. He was paired up to wrestle a girl, but declined. The other guys on the team thought him a sissy. I think it takes more courage to say no and be respectful, than to prove yourself 'manly' by wrestling a girl.

    Prayers,
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esther - your brother is quite the man. I'm sure you must be proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Bailey, you saw that too?! I saw that and I too, was appalled. I don't understand how people consider it no big deal. I was shocked. Totally agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree whole heartedly, Bailey. I love being a woman and don't need to be manly to feel "I've arrived".
    ~Mrs. Pyatskowit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good grief, GIRLS WRESTLING? I must agree with you...totally, and utterly.

    What is this world coming to?

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)