I Am Resolved

7:30 AM

"I don't recognize the number." She shuffled the phone into my hands. "You answer it."

Swallowing my milk and wondering why my sister thought the fresh-out-of-therapy phone-phobic would be the one to answer an unknown caller, I asked hello. ("Hello" is always a question on the phone. It's a polite way of asking, "Are you a telemarketer?")

I asked hello. And before I knew it I was being informed that Bailey Bergmann had won third place in state for a speech contest.

"Wow!" I gushed. "Awesome!"

I was crushed. Every contest I had entered I had always been applauded as the first place winner. I thought I owned this contest. I was already planning my schedule around the included trip to D.C. But there was no first place for me this time. Not even second. Third.

A little while before, upon being told I had won first in district, I asked God why I kept winning these contests. (In the giddiness of post-announcement I always try to be humble.) Surely I wasn't that smart. *wink* Surely I wasn't that awesome. *wink-wink*

But seriously, I was curious. And I determined that, logically, it must be God's will. There must be some purpose to it. And someday I would find out. (I really look forward to those mysteries being revealed. God is the author of amazing plot twists.) Right then and there, I promised Him I couldn't do it for my own glory - I had to do it for His.

Then here I was, masking disappointment from the apparently very excited man on the phone, deeply hurt that I had lost. Sure, I got third place and $500. But I was as beat as one could get in a contest.

Looking on the positive side, I beat out seven others in my state. But losing wasn't the problem with me. I was proud. I had wrapped up my success and a tiny bit of worth on my own skill. I measured my happiness by how wonderful everybody else thought me.

Since we're talking about New Year, I might as well tell you my new resolution - the new resolution besides the plans to tutor, camp counsel, start Bible study groups, write a novel in two months and preschool my baby siblings. I resolve to do things for God's glory, not my own. So when I lose a contest - when I win a contest - when I land that tutoring position - when I skip camp counseling in favor of traveling with my family - I count it all God's glory. Life's to short to live it for me. And it doesn't bring much lasting pleasure, anyway.

Oh, I will plan and dream and hope - don't get me wrong. But when my plans don't go my way, I resolve to remember that it is, nonetheless, God's way. And didn't I say He was an amazing author? Happily ever after must not be too far away.

Vive 2011! And sola Deo gloria.

You Might Also Like

5 impressions

  1. it´s: soli deo gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on winning third place, Bailey! You deserve better, but good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't be complaining over $500 dollars dear... :)

    Good luck with you new resolution...I will watch you closely... *grin*

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon - and I thought "the five solas" would be an easy way to remember how to spell it. Latin's as treacherous as English. ;o)

    Floppeth - don't watch too closely now. *nervous smile*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel - I think. I've had at least one experience sorta like that.

    By the way:
    I've lost all of the writing contests that I have entered...got any advice? :D) You're so good at those contests...

    Good Job, Bayleaf! - And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)