HIS Syndrome

7:30 AM


From the Wikischolasticapedia, the free academic encyclopedia

Homeschool Isolation Syndrome (HIS) is uncommon in mainstream America due to widespread public schooling. It affects only the growing population of homeschoolers, mainly those in small communities, small homeschool groups and small churches, though any homeschooler is vulnerable. Scientists classify HIS as the disease that breaks down homeschoolers' wills and leaves them stressed and discouraged.

No consensus has been reached on the cause of HIS; generally it's believed that individual stimuli, personal to the victim, produce various degrees of and responses to the syndrome. A typical HIS victim demonstrates the following symptoms: feeling left out, as if they're missing something; feeling trapped in isolation; and principally feeling racked with doubt.

Severe cases result in permanent scars of bitterness, which affect teaching ability and joy in homeschool mothers and can cause clandestine rebellion in students, and/or total abandonment of homeschooling. In less severe cases, sufferers may exhibit signs of depression, anxiety, lack of vision, disappointment, loneliness, doubt and harebrained opinions formerly unknown to that person. It's been noted that females are particularly prone to HIS; and while homeschool mothers are the largest, most visible demographic affected by this disease, students too can carry HIS to devastating results. With women, periods of uncontainable lachrymal fluid and signs of frayed nerves have been observed.

It's important to note that while HIS is curable, it must, by nature of the severity of the syndrome, be treated by extreme ways. Most popular are heart transplants, boosts of vision and renewing minds. Again, since HIS requires radical treatment, prevention is the best medicine. According to research, taking a day at a time, looking at the big picture and focusing on accomplishments and positives are keys to preventing massive HIS.

Medical researchers say that if someone is experiencing symptoms of HIS, she should get help immediately. Despair, confusion and the repeated "Nobody understands" are signs that help has been delayed too long. A steady diet of God's word and a dose of joy goes a long way to curing and preventing HIS. And researchers say the biggest breakthrough for HIS sufferers is to recognize that they are not alone and that in the end, it will be all worth it.

You Might Also Like

11 impressions

  1. Did YOU write this?! Girl, you are flat out amazing! How did you know that I have suffered this disease for over ten years?! Finally, the symptoms began to ease and eventually disappeared, with absolutely NO damage left behind...isn't that awesome? (haha)I have seen many a mom with massive HIS and it ain't pretty, let me tell you...in the end they just GIVE UP! I thoroughly enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Bailey! What a wonderful writer you are! And I happen to have a mild case of "HIS". I feel discontent as my mom tells me. This post helped a lot! Thank's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... this post threw me for a loop. Never heard of this so called HIS. So, have you ever or presently go through these same symptoms, since you know lots about it, or do you observe others who do. Very creative post that will really keep your attention! It's also nice, how you have a "back-to-school" theme going on!!Love, Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Howard: I wish I could give a hug to every homeschool mother who feels like giving up and to every homeschool mother who overcomes that feeling. We students know the huge impact you have.

    Maria: Aw. *HUG* It gets tough sometimes...and I wonder all the time if the solution is a big dose sympathetic, pro-homeschool empowerment or a slap upside the head. Maybe both. :P

    Stacy: Oh, boy -- I just got over this a couple weeks ago. I catch it every time I enter the high school building. I've not really seen anybody else suffering from the same, so I had to write myself a little encouragement before I felt like the one and only Epic Fail of a Homeschooler.

    I get discouraged easily, if you haven't noticed. And my poor readers suffer from my discouragement with lengthy encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. **dear me** never heard of this one and was at loss of words...

    ReplyDelete
  6. :D Would you say that all homeschoolers have this disease at one point or another, or only a few?
    You're lovely writing skills have done it again! - As they always do. :)
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank's Bailey I love you! You are fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flop -- are we sisters? Really? Then how did I end up so depressed and liberal? ;o)))

    I dunno, Anna...maybe more than we homeschoolers would like to admit. I think it might affect hyper-sensitive sixteen-year-olds more than younger girls...more Baileys than Bethanys, if you get my drift.

    You're so sweet. :o) Love ya!

    I love you too, Maria! *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome blog thank you! You should checkout my site http://motorcycle-fairings.info

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Afternoon

    Great share, thanks for your time

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)