Peter Pan Syndrome

9:30 AM

Daniel Franklyn had a bad day Tuesday. He didn't get enough sleep the night before, tripped over a tent and walked in front of Caroline's red plastic swing - while it swung towards him. That's not the worst. Since he was just a little kid, sleeping in a crib and wearing diapers and being rocked to sleep, he always sucked on his right pointer. There's a unique puckered look about him when that finger slips into his lips. But the dentist says it's ruining his teeth. The obvious, simplest, most inexpensive (as compared to braces) way is to get him to stop sucking his finger - to stop sucking anything.

To aid our courageous little brother, Mama hid all his sippy cups and bought him some Sip-a-Mugs- like the kind we older kids chewed up and wore out several years ago. Tuesday morning, before the more serious manisfestations of a bad day, I was emptying the dishwasher and Daniel Franklyn came in.

"I want some apple juice." He then proceeded to the cupboard, where the hidden stash of sippy cups were. Smart kid - I don't even know where things are in the kitchen. He had bribed me to get him apple juice in a sippy before, but I already had had my lecture and was way ahead of him.

"Get me some apple juice."

"Sure, honey, but you can't have it in that cup."

He wrinkled up his insulted brow. "But - but I want it!"

"Well, you can have it, honey bear, but not in that sippy cup."

(Here we insert arched back and wail.) "Please?"

"No, baby. Why don't we use this cup? Or do you want a big kid cup?"

"I - I want a sippy cup."

"But Daniel Franklyn, Mama doesn't want you using those cups. You're a big boy now."

"No, I'm not."

"Daniel Franklyn! Of course you are, whether you want to be or not. You've got to grow up."

"I don't want to grow up" - dejectedly, as he leant his forehead against the kitchen drawers. "I don't want to grow up. I don't want to grow up."

You may be interested to note that he did, eventually, accept apple juice in a Sip-a-Mug. Me, I was interested to note that he voiced my ineloquent opinion on life some days - those days when I have too many responsibilities, too many obstacles to overcome, too many conundrums to unravel and too much of life looms over my head. It's at that time I want to throw in the towel, bang my head on a kitchen drawer and mumble over and over again, "I don't want to grow up...I don't want to grow up."

Take, for instance, theology. Are you at the point where nothing controversial comes up in Sunday school, church or everyday life? I once was. I drank theological milk for most of my life. But recently my Heavenly Father weaned me off those nice, feel-good controversies and started offering meat and potatoes as spiritual fare. Meals like, Calvinism, Amyraldianism or Arminianism? Amillennial, postmillennial or premillennial? How does salvation work? Why does God do as He does? Why aren't all the people I love saved? I take a long time to chew steak as it is; it's even harder when it's theological steak. And I remember several sleepless nights, several harried study sessions, several frustrating conversations where my presuppositions crumbled, my brain gave out and I cried, "Lord, I don't want to grow up!"

For that's what was happening. How about you? Maybe theology's not your top priority right now - maybe it's accepting adult responsibility, making wise decisions, helping out around the house or submitting to the Lord's leading. Do you resist growing up, like Daniel Franklyn? Or do you welcome controversy, conundrum and uncomfortability as God's three-course meal of sanctification? It takes guts to grow up. It takes pain. Ultimately, it takes faith. But it's worth it - and it's necessary. Indeed, as Daniel Franklyn found out, it's inevitable.

"For everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil" (Hebrews 5:13-14).

Dig in!

Picture Credit

You Might Also Like

10 impressions

  1. LOL, I can just see Daniel rolling his eyes and slumping his back. Banging his head against the drawers? Poor kid.

    Honestly, that theology stuff you were talking about the other night? I'd call that a four course meal instead of milk. All I see is it soaring over my head. :D

    *hugs*

    Flop

    P.s. You were right, I admit. This was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flop, much of theological stuff flies over my head too. But they say if you want to eat an elephant, you just start one bite at a time...

    ...or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has "Peter Pan" moments... I've had them increasingly these past few months since mom's back has been so bad and I've had to take over cooking, cleaning, and caring for our home and family. Yeah, I've definitely had those "I DON'T want to grow up" moments! Thanks for your fun post and encouragement Bailey!!

    Love you!
    ~Elissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Elissa! I'm sure you do a beautiful job at running the home - it's your servant's heart. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to all that. I very much agree that we need to come out of our comfort zones and experience the real world-remembering that we are in the world, but not of it. As we all grow up, we will be questioned about our faith and I pray everyone will be prepared to answer with the Holy Spirit's leading. I pray that not only for you, but me, too, 'cause I need it more than anybody.

    Anyway, Beb, I agree wholeheartedly. Oh, and poor Daniel. I love that little kid. I also encourage you to be able to say "no". :-) That seems to be the human's hardest thing to say.

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  6. KT, I must say - I love your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (I meant that sincerely, Katie, by the way! Love ya!)

    Speaking of Daniel Franklyn...he appears to be having another bad day. Something to do with shelves and gravity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. O Yeah... totally know what your saying. I can't believe how fast I grew up, there is so much more decisions I have to make without my parent's help, and I am becoming more accountable for my wrong, sinful actions. Growing up is definetly hard and many new changes arrive. And like you said we begin to want to know what we really believe. I know I am starting to wonder more, or form some opinions.
    But somehow we are all getting through them... It can be a growing time. God can get us through and he will be our "light onto our path." (However, there are many exciting things that come along with every life stage!)
    Sometimes, I also think it is still good though to just "be still."

    And poor Daniel. Isn't it funny how he had to go through the pain in order for you to write this blog post! LOL! Congrats Daniel. You did it for your sis! Hope Daniel's teeth will be alright!
    Great post. It brought to light what many of us are going through in this stage of life.
    Love, Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stacy, yours would be a perfect addendum to this post. You just about expressed (in fewer words than somebody I know...) the whole gist of this post.

    You said "It can be a growing time" and that got me thinking how blessed we are as Christian teenagers to have the Holy Spirit. Teens of today are viewed as messed-up identity crises. While I feel like that some mornings, I know questions and conundrums come up for a purpose - I'm getting somewhere.

    It takes much energy and faith to be still, does it not?

    You encourage me. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's late and I can't stop reading. Ha!

    This is a great post... I've always wanted to "grow up" - ever since I can remember. However, as I began to, I began to wish one could pick and choose areas in which to mature, and leave the harder stuff for another day/year/lifetime, ya know?

    Ignorance is bliss, they say. It's also dangerous.

    "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge:" Hosea 4:6

    Milk is great for babes, but like you said, we've all gotta grow up sometime. Not only is it our duty, it's worth it.

    Seriously - who would go back to living on milk alone after tasting a big juicy steak? It's like that with theology -- only on a much, MUCH larger scale. :)

    By the way - I'd just love the opportunity to chat theology with you sometime, Bailey. Calvinism, Eschatology, Theonomy... ah. I'd love to get your take on it all.

    I'm really going to bed now. Really.

    {hugs!}

    Oh look! That post has an interesting title.

    Someone stop meeeee!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your best thought! I'm very interested in your unique perspective. If you'd like to discuss things in private, feel free to email me! :)